1. Get acquainted with His Word (Study the Bible). We develop all kinds of fancy words to create a love effect on our spouses, or significant other. We use words and phrases that often make them see stars. We say things to make them feel good and important. Well about God? In the same way there are certain words that really draw the heart of Jesus, when He hears you say them. The power of words can bring change, development or destruction. "His words are words of life because he speaks what the Father has given him" (John 8:28). His words not only have power to instruct, but power to heal, restore, and remake us in the image of God. This is why you need to know His Word.
2. Come clean. The same way dishonesty destroys or hinders our relationship with others, it can create barriers for our breakthrough with God. Although God knows every single detail about your life, it is important that you before Him and lay down everything on the table...bring it as it is! Tell him exactly how you feel. Ask Him for what you want. Don't hold back, then expect to get full result. It won't work. We play this game with our significant other and expect them to know how you feel. It's not exactly like that with God, but you can't expect them to act based on what they don't know.
3. Have faith in God. Trust God's guidance. Without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6). You must go believing! Expect something good. God always has a great plan for us even though sometimes it's hard for us to see. God astonishes us with His power. Kinda like the way our special someone surprises us when we are least expecting.
4. Be ready to repent of any known and unknown sins. Unconfessed sins in our lives is like having secrets unknown to someone we love. Even though God sees our sins we have a responsibility to confess with our mouth. For me, if I have something I need to say to my significant other, it is difficult for me to move forward comfortably until I get it out. One cannot move on in their walk with the Lord unless any besetting sins are confessed. If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me (Psalms 66:18). You must first be willing to forgive others who have done you wrong before God can forgive you. "For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." (Matthew 6:14)-NIV.
5. Pray fervently. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (James 5:16 KJV). This is the key to releasing tremendous power into our lives and receiving answers to our prayers. Fervent prayer is being enthusiastic. Having that deep heartfelt (emotional) time with God, and persisting to experience God's power in your life. The prayer of someone living right with God is a powerful tool when we purposely take time to communicate intimately with God. "Fervent prayer is putting your whole self---all of your attention, your mind, your will, and your emotions---on that thing you’re praying about. That means your mind is focused on prayer instead of drifting off on other things. Fervent prayer will make a difference in the lives of people, but we must understand that it takes an effort and a sacrifice of our time." Pastor Jimmy Dean
7. Pray in His(Jesus) Name. "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."(John 14:13)-NIV. Praying in Jesus' name means the same thing as praying according to the will of God, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14-15). Praying in Jesus’ name is praying for things that will honor and glorify Jesus.
8. Give Him thanks and praise. We often praise the people in our lives for being who they are, we rejoice in their accomplishments, we are thankful for what they can do; and for who or what they are to us. We should affirm God's Word when we talk to Him; praise Him for 'Who He Is'; be grateful for He has done, (what He is doing and will do in and through and for you as an expression of your faith Him). God loves it when we give Him the honor and glory due the Him. As they say, Let's"Big Him Up!"
9. Remain humble and be patient. Never interfere with what you have agreed with the Lord. Don't frown, don't fret because you think He should have given you an answer already, or because things are not going the way you expect it. Let the Man take charge! Don't rush it! Relax and be patient! He's got under control. Do you really trust Him? Don't let a delayed answer cause you to loose your trust or hope in Him. He is faithful. Isn't He?
10. You'll do it if you love Him.