My prayer today is that we all will live a life which continuously displays our love and humble obedience towards God who deserves all glory. I think we are pushed to the edge at some point where we want to do nothing but give our enemies some "unholy side-kicks". It is often easy for us to be "Christian" on a Sunday or when we're around other Christians, but God expects us to act like Christ in every way possible. Although life may be more challenging in some areas of living than others, God gives grace to live the life He has called us to live. This life is a Holy Life or a life of holiness. Colossians chapter 3 and 4 gives us guidelines and commands to help us live that life to the best of our knowledge: Family life, work life and public life.
What does Holiness look like in Family Life? (Colossians 3:18-21)
- Submission to your husband vs. 18
- A loyal love towards your wife vs. 19
- A humble obedience to parents vs.20
- A pleasant, unprovoked approach towards children vs. 21
All of these are commanded to us by God so that His name be glorified. Any direction away from these commands is unholy and should therefore be avoided.
Many of us tend to think that being a Christian means being in a particular time and place. This is false! Christianity is being Christ-like in everything we do; no matter the time and place. This is how Holiness is displayed in our lives, as we do everything as unto God and not unto man.
- Obedience to Masters/ bosses, not to please man and not with eye-service ( work done when your boss is watching), but you do your job with total devotion and sincerity. vs. 22
- Masters should act justly and fairly towards your servants/employers. Bear in mind that you have a Master in Heaven who is above all masters. 4:1
What does Holiness looks like in Public life? (Colossians 4:2-6)
Holiness should be a public display of God's character in our everyday lives.
- Pray without ceasing and be thankful. vs. 2
- Be wise in the way you act towards others. Remember whatever you do do it heartily unto God and not unto man. vs.5
- Take every opportunity you get to do good. Help someone in need. Witness to a soul that feels lost and hopeless; tell them about God's love. Serve where you can to make positive life change. vs.5
- When we converse with others of God our words should be spoken with grace. Our conversations should edify others and glorify God. We should pray that God will equip us to speak His truth and wisdom into the lives of others, lovingly and with grace. vs.6